Palliative care is the active total care of patients whose disease is not responsive to curative treatment. This section deals with sites that promote, educate and inform the public about palliative care in general. Palliative Care Medical Specialties Medicine Health.
Physicians sometimes use the term palliative care in a sense meaning palliative therapies without curative intent, when no cure can be expected (as often happens in late-stage cancers ). (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Palliative care is a multidisciplinary approach to specialized medical and nursing care for people with life-limiting illnesses. It focuses on providing relief from the symptoms, pain, physical stress, and mental stress of a terminal diagnosis. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the person and their family. Evidence as of 2016 supports pallative care's efficacy in the improvement of a patient's quality of life.
- Palliative care Category
- Children's hospice - A children's hospice is a hospice specifically designed to help children and young people who are not expected to reach adulthood with the emotional and physical challenges they face, and also to provide respite care for their families.
- Elderly care - Elderly care, or simply eldercare, is the fulfillment of the special needs and requirements that are unique to senior citizens. This broad term encompasses such services as assisted living, adult day care, long term care, nursing homes, hospice care, and home care.
- Elisabeth K bler-Ross - Elisabeth K bler-Ross was a Swiss-American psychiatrist, a pioneer in near-death studies and the author of the groundbreaking book On Death and Dying, where she first discussed her theory of the five stages of grief.
- End-of-life care - In medicine, nursing and the allied health professions, end-of-life care refers to health care, not only of patients in the final hours or days of their lives, but more broadly care of all those with a terminal illness or terminal condition that has become advanced, progressive and incurable.
- Florence Wald - Florence Wald was an American nurse, former Dean of Yale School of Nursing, and largely credited as "the mother of the American hospice movement". She led the founding of Connecticut Hospice, the first hospice program in the United States.
- Hospice - Hospice care is a type of care and philosophy of care that focuses on the palliation of a chronically ill, terminally ill or seriously ill patient's pain and symptoms, and attending to their emotional and spiritual needs.
- Growth House www
Resources for bereavement and grief, House, death and dying, death with dignity, euthanasia, hospice, palliative care, suicide, terminal illness, AIDS, HIV, and related topics.
- Promotes Center to Advance Palliative Care www
Promotes wider access to palliative care in hospitals and health systems throughout the United States. Center to Advance Palliative Care.
- The Dying Well www
The president of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Well, Dr. Ira Byock, provides excerpts from his book about resources for patients and families facing life-limiting illness. Dying Well.
- This Innovations in End-of-Life Care www
This on-line journal features peer-reviewed examples of promising practices in end-of-life care. Innovations in End-of-Life Care.
- Consumer Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care www
Consumer and professional health education on the treatment of chronic pain as well as on comfort or palliative care for those with long-term illness. Pain Medicine and Palliative Care. Beth Israel Medical Center, New York. Department of Pain Medicine and Palliative Care.
- A M. D. Anderson Cancer Center - Symptom Control and Palliative Care www
A resource for clinical information, Anderson Cancer Center - Symptom Control and Palliative Care, education, research and academic training in palliative care. M. D. Anderson Cancer Center - Symptom Control and Palliative Care.
- A Living Lessons(TM) www
A national initiative to increase awareness of hospice palliative care and services in Canada. Lessons(TM). The campaign is presented in partnership with the Canadian Palliative Care Association and The Glaxo Wellcome Foundation. Living Lessons(TM).
- Offers THe EPEC Project (Education on Palliative and End-of-life-Care) www
Offers continuing medical education conferences, EPEC Project (Education on Palliative and End-of-life-Care), distance learning, educational materials and consulting. THe EPEC Project (Education on Palliative and End-of-life-Care).
- Training End of Life Physician Education Resource Center (EPERC) www
Training material and informational repository for physicians who educate about end of life (EOL) issues. Life Physician Education Resource Center (EPERC). End of Life Physician Education Resource Center (EPERC).
- Developed Texas Academy of Palliative Medicine www
Developed for palliative care physicians in Texas, Academy of Palliative Medicine, containing details of meetings and useful online resources. Texas Academy of Palliative Medicine.
- Provides Palliative Drugs www
Provides independent information for health professionals about drugs usage in this specialty. Palliative Drugs.
- Coverage General Practice Notebook - Palliative care www
Coverage of this medical speciality. General Practice Notebook - Palliative care.
- Information Cochrane Pain, Palliative Care and Supportive Care Group www
Information on this research review group, Pain, Palliative Care and Supportive Care Group, a member of the international Cochrane Collaboration, dedicated to providing systematic reviews of published evidence in the field of palliative care. Cochrane Pain, Palliative Care and Supportive Care Group.
- A The Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care www
A center located at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital answers questions about palliative care. The Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care.
- Programs HMS Center for Palliative Care www
Programs offered at Harvard Medical School for healthcare professionals. Center for Palliative Care. Located in Boston, Mass. HMS Center for Palliative Care.
- In Pioneer Programs in Palliative Care: Nine Case Studies www
In this report clinicians at nine hospitals describe the establishment of formal programs of palliative care. Pioneer Programs in Palliative Care: Nine Case Studies.
- Includes British Columbia Hospice Palliative Care Association www
Includes information about this group, Columbia Hospice Palliative Care Association, components of palliative care, and links. British Columbia Hospice Palliative Care Association.
- Providing International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care www
Providing education about palliative care and hospice in the developing world. Association for Hospice and Palliative Care. Includes an international newsletter, palliative care bibliography, and links. International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care.
- These 100 Phrases for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One www
These phrases were composed with the purpose to empower and comfort those who have encountered the death of someone they love. 100 Phrases for Those Who Have Lost a Loved One.
- Provides Beyond Indigo www
Provides information on caregiving, Indigo, loss, grieving, and end-of-life issues for family, friends, pets, and loved ones, with an emphasis on the positive. Beyond Indigo.
- Useful The Hospice Home Page www
Useful ideas and topics of interest for hospice organizations. Hospice Home Page. Monitored by Dale Larson, Ph.D., Associate Professor and Director of the Counseling Psychology Program at Santa Clara University. The Hospice Home Page.
- Hospice Ina and Jack Kay Center for Supportive Care www
Hospice in the Hadassah medical center in Jerusalem. Ina and Jack Kay Center for Supportive Care.
- Information Dr. Blair Lamb, MD www
Information on all aspects of pain, Blair Lamb, MD, including treatment of such chronic and acute conditions, and osteoarthritis, and pain therapies. Also offering products and a stretching video. Based in Ontario, Canada. Dr. Blair Lamb, MD.
- Forum Pain-talk www
Forum for UK healthcare professionals interested in acute, Pain-talk, chronic, or palliative pain management. Pain-talk.
- A Hospice Care Ring www
A place for hospice workers, Care Ring, caregivers, and people who know first hand about grief and healing to come together to share ideas, and help each other. Hospice Care Ring.
- Offers Edmarc Hospice for Children www
Offers home healthcare, Hospice for Children, hospice, and bereavement support. Material on services, the organization, and contact information. [Portsmouth, Virginia] Edmarc Hospice for Children.
- Desire Initiative for Pediatric Palliative Care www
Desire to enhance family centered care for children living with life threatening conditions through education, for Pediatric Palliative Care, research, and quality improvement. Initiative for Pediatric Palliative Care.
- Alexa: Palliative Care Medical Specialties
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Palliative Care Medical Specialties
- DMOZ: Palliative Care Medical Specialties
dmoz.org Directory: Palliative Care Medical Specialties