Gambling can be defined as playing a game of chance for stakes. Gambling occurs in many forms, most commonly pari-mutuels (horse and dog tracks, off-track-betting parlors, Jai Alai), lotteries, casinos (slot machines, table games), bookmaking (sports books and horse books), card rooms, bingo and the stock market. Pathological gambling is a progressive disease that devastates not only the gambler but everyone with whom he or she has a significant relationship. In 1980, the American Psychiatric Association accepted pathological gambling as a "disorder of impulse control." It is an illness that is chronic and progressive, but it can be diagnosed and treated. Pathological Gambling Impulse Control Disorders Mental Health Health.
Problem gambling (or ludomania, but usually referred to as " gambling addiction " or " compulsive gambling ") is an urge to gamble continuously despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Problem gambling is an urge to gamble continuously despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop. Problem gambling is often defined by whether harm is experienced by the gambler or others, rather than by the gambler's behaviour. Severe problem gambling may be diagnosed as clinical pathological gambling if the gambler meets certain criteria. Pathological gambling is a common disorder that is associated with both social and family costs.
- Gamblers Anonymous - Gamblers Anonymous is a twelve-step program for people who have a gambling problem. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop gambling.
- Gambler's Lament , an ancient poem about gambling.
- Gambling Commission (Great Britain).
- GamCare - GamCare is the leading provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. GamCare is a national charity and was founded in 1997.
- Gaming law - Gaming law is the set of rules and regulations that apply to the gaming or gambling industry.
- National Council on Problem Gambling (Singapore) - The National Council on Problem Gambling was set up in Singapore on 31 August 2005 to address problem gambling, following the government's decision to legalise casino gambling and build two integrated resorts at Marina Bay and Sentosa.
- Behavioral addiction
- Habit and impulse disorders
- Gambling and society
- Psychiatric diagnosis
- Offers Forman Consulting www
Offers preventive educational services at high schools, Consulting, colleges, and workplaces. Includes screening quiz and background information. Based in New England, U.S.A.. Forman Consulting.
- Offers Oregon Council on Problem Gambling www
Offers help to every problem gambler in Oregon. Council on Problem Gambling. Reports on adolescent gambling and problem gambling. Oregon Council on Problem Gambling.
- Offers National Responsible Gaming Programme www
Offers problem gambling education, Responsible Gaming Programme, treatment, telephone counselling, research, and counsellor training in Africa. National Responsible Gaming Programme.
- Offers Chance to Change www
Offers a Christ-centered gambling addiction recovery program, Change, produced for churches. Chance to Change.
- Provides Shawn and Drew's 21 Steps to Stop Gambling www
Provides information about a system to stop gambling. Shawn and Drew's 21 Steps to Stop Gambling.
- Offers GamCare www
Offers a telephone help line for people with gambling problems in the United Kingdom. GamCare. Also, offers an Internet chat help line. GamCare.
- Offers Want to Stop Gambling? www
Offers a free self-help guide developed by a problem gambler. Stop Gambling?. Want to Stop Gambling?.
- Deals Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues www
Deals with gambling as a social phenomenon and the prevention and treatment of gambling problems. Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues.
- Offers Northern Rivers Gambling Service www
Offers counseling for problem gamblers and their families. Rivers Gambling Service. Situated in Northern New South Wales, Australia. Northern Rivers Gambling Service.
- Offers Problem Gambling www
Offers a newsletter about the diagnosis and treatment of problem gambling for educational and informational purposes only. Problem Gambling.
- Supports Association of Problem Gambling Service Administrators www
Supports the development of services that will reduce the impact of problem gambling. Problem Gambling Service Administrators. APGSA members are administrators of public funds dedicated to the provision of problem gambling services. Association of Problem Gambling Service Administrators.
- Contains Gambling with the Good Life www
Contains information about an organization that is dedicated to opposing expanded gambling in the state of Nebraska, with the Good Life, U.S.A.. Gambling with the Good Life.
- Provides Problem Gambling Hub www
Provides a hub for research, Gambling Hub, treatment, and discussion of problem gambling by the gaming industry and professionals who are concerned with the problem of gambling addiction. Problem Gambling Hub.
- Contains Responsible Gambling Council (Ontario) www
Contains information about an organization dedicated to responsible gambling awareness. Gambling Council (Ontario). Responsible Gambling Council (Ontario).
- Contains Wannabet.org www
Contains an on-line magazine for kids concerned about the dangers of gambling addiction. Wannabet.org.
- Specializes North American Training Institute Home Page www
Specializes in responsible programs for the gaming and wagering industries, American Training Institute Home Page, professional, accredited training programs, and in senior citizen and adolescent compulsive gambling issues. Includes Wanna Bet? magazine for kids concerned about gambling. North American Training Institute Home Page.
- Research Print Media Coverage of Research on Passive Smoking www
Research evaluates tobacco industry influence on coverage in newspapers and magazines of the health effects of secondhand smoke. Print Media Coverage of Research on Passive Smoking.
- Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health www
Canadian research facility and hospital which provides direct patient care. for Addiction and Mental Health. Includes searchable database of addiction related materials. Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
- Does Canadian Partnership for Responsible Gambling www
Does research to find and promote effective ways to reduce the risk of problem gambling. Partnership for Responsible Gambling. Also, provides lists for treatment centers and helpline telephone numbers in Canada. Canadian Partnership for Responsible Gambling.
- Offers The Mississippi Council for Problem and Compulsive Gambling www
Offers helpline, Mississippi Council for Problem and Compulsive Gambling, training for health care providers and public awareness program. Also, conducts research and develops prevention and education programs for adolescents. The Mississippi Council for Problem and Compulsive Gambling.
- Includes Pathological Gambling (1999) www
Includes a report on pathological gambling by the Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Gambling (1999). Pathological Gambling (1999).
- Offers Gambler Addiction Index (GAI) www
Offers gambler problem and pathology assessment test. Addiction Index (GAI). Gambler Addiction Index (GAI).
- Principles Behavioral Health Recovery Management www
Principles of disease management to assist individuals with chemical dependency and/or serious mental illness and to engage in a process of recovery from these illnesses. Behavioral Health Recovery Management.
- Paper Implications of Impulsivity for Substance Use www
Paper by G. Impulsivity for Substance Use. Scott Acton reviews the literature on impulsivity as a risk factor for substance use. Implications of Impulsivity for Substance Use.
- Offers Yahoo! Groups: Compulsive Gambling Center On Recovery Everyday www
Offers a forum providing support, Groups: Compulsive Gambling Center On Recovery Everyday, encouragement, assistance, and recovery methods that have worked for others. Membership required to view archives. Yahoo! Groups: Compulsive Gambling Center On Recovery Everyday.
- Offers Yahoo! Groups: Kaz's Coffee Lounge www
Offers a forum for people whose lives have been controlled by gambling and learning how to live without placing another bet. Yahoo! Groups: Kaz's Coffee Lounge.
- Offers Gambler's Relief www
Offers treatment services in the Twin Cities south of the river from Shakopee to Apple Valley. Relief. Located in Savage, Minnesota. Gambler's Relief.
- Describes Center for Problem Gambling - VA New England Health Care System www
Describes problem gambling treatment available for veterans at the Bedford VA Medical Center in New England. Center for Problem Gambling - VA New England Health Care System.
- Description Psychological.com - Dr. David B. Adams www
Description of the major types of impulse control. Psychological.com - Dr. David B. Adams.
- Ongoing Behavior Therapy and Research Laboratory www
Ongoing research in the area of tic disorders, Therapy and Research Laboratory, trichotillomania and other repetitive behavior disorders at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Behavior Therapy and Research Laboratory.
- Alexa: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
- DMOZ: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
dmoz.org Directory: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control