Gambling can be defined as playing a game of chance for stakes. Gambling occurs in many forms, most commonly pari-mutuels (horse and dog tracks, off-track-betting parlors, Jai Alai), lotteries, casinos (slot machines, table games), bookmaking (sports books and horse books), card rooms, bingo and the stock market. Pathological gambling is a progressive disease that devastates not only the gambler but everyone with whom he or she has a significant relationship. In 1980, the American Psychiatric Association accepted pathological gambling as a "disorder of impulse control." It is an illness that is chronic and progressive, but it can be diagnosed and treated. Pathological Gambling Impulse Control Disorders Mental Health Health.
Problem gambling (or ludomania, but usually referred to as " gambling addiction " or " compulsive gambling ") is an urge to gamble continuously despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Problem gambling is an urge to gamble continuously despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop. Problem gambling is often defined by whether harm is experienced by the gambler or others, rather than by the gambler's behaviour. Severe problem gambling may be diagnosed as clinical pathological gambling if the gambler meets certain criteria. Pathological gambling is a common disorder that is associated with both social and family costs.
- Gamblers Anonymous - Gamblers Anonymous is a twelve-step program for people who have a gambling problem. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop gambling.
- Gambler's Lament , an ancient poem about gambling.
- Gambling Commission (Great Britain).
- GamCare - GamCare is the leading provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. GamCare is a national charity and was founded in 1997.
- Gaming law - Gaming law is the set of rules and regulations that apply to the gaming or gambling industry.
- National Council on Problem Gambling (Singapore) - The National Council on Problem Gambling was set up in Singapore on 31 August 2005 to address problem gambling, following the government's decision to legalise casino gambling and build two integrated resorts at Marina Bay and Sentosa.
- Behavioral addiction
- Habit and impulse disorders
- Gambling and society
- Psychiatric diagnosis
- Offers Problem Gambling www
Offers a newsletter about the diagnosis and treatment of problem gambling for educational and informational purposes only. Problem Gambling.
- Provides Problem Gambling Hub www
Provides a hub for research, Gambling Hub, treatment, and discussion of problem gambling by the gaming industry and professionals who are concerned with the problem of gambling addiction. Problem Gambling Hub.
- Specializes North American Training Institute Home Page www
Specializes in responsible programs for the gaming and wagering industries, American Training Institute Home Page, professional, accredited training programs, and in senior citizen and adolescent compulsive gambling issues. Includes Wanna Bet? magazine for kids concerned about gambling. North American Training Institute Home Page.
- Offers Want to Stop Gambling? www
Offers a free self-help guide developed by a problem gambler. Stop Gambling?. Want to Stop Gambling?.
- Offers National Responsible Gaming Programme www
Offers problem gambling education, Responsible Gaming Programme, treatment, telephone counselling, research, and counsellor training in Africa. National Responsible Gaming Programme.
- Provides Shawn and Drew's 21 Steps to Stop Gambling www
Provides information about a system to stop gambling. Shawn and Drew's 21 Steps to Stop Gambling.
- Supports Association of Problem Gambling Service Administrators www
Supports the development of services that will reduce the impact of problem gambling. Problem Gambling Service Administrators. APGSA members are administrators of public funds dedicated to the provision of problem gambling services. Association of Problem Gambling Service Administrators.
- Contains Responsible Gambling Council (Ontario) www
Contains information about an organization dedicated to responsible gambling awareness. Gambling Council (Ontario). Responsible Gambling Council (Ontario).
- Offers Oregon Council on Problem Gambling www
Offers help to every problem gambler in Oregon. Council on Problem Gambling. Reports on adolescent gambling and problem gambling. Oregon Council on Problem Gambling.
- Offers Northern Rivers Gambling Service www
Offers counseling for problem gamblers and their families. Rivers Gambling Service. Situated in Northern New South Wales, Australia. Northern Rivers Gambling Service.
- Offers Forman Consulting www
Offers preventive educational services at high schools, Consulting, colleges, and workplaces. Includes screening quiz and background information. Based in New England, U.S.A.. Forman Consulting.
- Offers GamCare www
Offers a telephone help line for people with gambling problems in the United Kingdom. GamCare. Also, offers an Internet chat help line. GamCare.
- Contains Wannabet.org www
Contains an on-line magazine for kids concerned about the dangers of gambling addiction. Wannabet.org.
- Contains Gambling with the Good Life www
Contains information about an organization that is dedicated to opposing expanded gambling in the state of Nebraska, with the Good Life, U.S.A.. Gambling with the Good Life.
- Offers Chance to Change www
Offers a Christ-centered gambling addiction recovery program, Change, produced for churches. Chance to Change.
- Deals Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues www
Deals with gambling as a social phenomenon and the prevention and treatment of gambling problems. Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues.
- Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health www
Canadian research facility and hospital which provides direct patient care. for Addiction and Mental Health. Includes searchable database of addiction related materials. Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
- Research Print Media Coverage of Research on Passive Smoking www
Research evaluates tobacco industry influence on coverage in newspapers and magazines of the health effects of secondhand smoke. Print Media Coverage of Research on Passive Smoking.
- Provides Minnesota Compulsive Gambling Program www
Provides 24x7 helpline. Compulsive Gambling Program. Also, funds treatment, research, resource library and public education. Minnesota Compulsive Gambling Program.
- Offers New Zealand Gambling Problem Helpline Service www
Offers helpline services for problem gamblers in New Zealand. New Zealand Gambling Problem Helpline Service.
- Includes Pathological Gambling (1999) www
Includes a report on pathological gambling by the Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Gambling (1999). Pathological Gambling (1999).
- Includes The Wager www
Includes a Harvard Medical School weekly publication presenting the latest research on pathological gambling. The Wager.
- General Drug Rehabilitation www
General information, Rehabilitation, personal stories, and links to some drug rehabilitation programs. Drug Rehabilitation.
- Psychiatry, Psychiatry and Wellness www
Psychiatry, and Wellness, wellness, addictions and recovery. Offers articles on various addiction issues. Psychiatry and Wellness.
- Contains Encognitive.com www
Contains message boards, Encognitive.com, journals, articles, self-tests and personal stories. Encognitive.com.
- Provides Gamblers Anonymous (UK) www
Provides information about a fellowship of men and women who have joined together to do something about their own gambling problem. Anonymous (UK). Based in London, United Kingdom. Gamblers Anonymous (UK).
- Describes Center for Problem Gambling - VA New England Health Care System www
Describes problem gambling treatment available for veterans at the Bedford VA Medical Center in New England. Center for Problem Gambling - VA New England Health Care System.
- Includes GamPro www
Includes a list of services and staff biographies for an organization is based in New York. GamPro. Also, includes information about the warning signs for problem gambling. GamPro.
- An Psychology Information Online www
An overview of the types and behaviour aspects of impulse control disorders. Psychology Information Online.
- Ongoing Behavior Therapy and Research Laboratory www
Ongoing research in the area of tic disorders, Therapy and Research Laboratory, trichotillomania and other repetitive behavior disorders at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Behavior Therapy and Research Laboratory.
- Alexa: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
- DMOZ: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control
dmoz.org Directory: Pathological Gambling Impulse Control