Tobacco Specific Substances Health.
Tobacco is a product prepared from the leaves of the tobacco plant by curing them. The plant is part of the genus Nicotiana and of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Tobacco is a product prepared from the leaves of the tobacco plant by curing them. The plant is part of the genus Nicotiana and of the Solanaceae family. While more than 70 species of tobacco are known, the chief commercial crop is N. tabacum. The more potent variant N. rustica is also used around the world. Tobacco contains the alkaloid nicotine, which is a stimulant, and harmala alkaloids. Dried tobacco leaves are mainly used for smoking in cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and flavored shisha tobacco. They can also be consumed as snuff, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco and snus. Tobacco use is a risk factor for many diseases, especially those affecting the heart, liver, and lungs, as well as many cancers. In 2008, the World Health Organization named tobacco as the world's single greatest preventable cause of death.
- Tobacco Category
- Herbal and fungal stimulants
- Nicotinic agonists
- Native American religion
- Crops originating from the Americas
- IARC Group 1 carcinogens
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Held 2003 National Conference on Tobacco or Health www
Held December 10-12, National Conference on Tobacco or Health, 2003 in Boston; call for abstracts, program areas. 2003 National Conference on Tobacco or Health.
- Conference Forum on Global Tobacco Control Policies; May 19 1997 www
Conference held in San Francisco on tobacco control. Forum on Global Tobacco Control Policies; May 19 1997.
- Refuting Smoking Deaths Not Overstated, Re-Analysis Shows www
Refuting claims by the tobacco industry that death estimates from smoking are inflated, Deaths Not Overstated, Re-Analysis Shows, the American Medical Association re-analyzes the data. Smoking Deaths Not Overstated, Re-Analysis Shows.
- Smoking Smoking Caused Disability www
Smoking not only shortens life, Caused Disability, it increases number of years of disability. This research analysis estimates how much increased disability is caused by smoking. Smoking Caused Disability.
- The George Seldes on Tobacco www
The scientific studies on the health effects of tobacco go back to 1938, Seldes on Tobacco, but few papers were running stories about it: their leading advertisers were the tobacco companies. George Seldes (1890-1995) was an exception; a set of his tobacco stories from 1940 to 1950 is reprinted here. George Seldes on Tobacco.
- Showcases The Cigarette Papers www
Showcases the contrast between the tobacco industry's private knowledge and its public statements over the past 50 years. The Cigarette Papers.
- Column Dave Barry on "Dave" Cigarettes www
Column by humorist Dave Barry on Philip Morris's "Dave" cigarettes. Dave Barry on "Dave" Cigarettes.
- Where Cheapest Cigarettes on Earth www
Where to get dirt-cheap cigarettes, Cigarettes on Earth, no taxes. Cheapest Cigarettes on Earth.
- Set Addressing Tobacco In Managed Care www
Set of research articles on how and why tobacco use is a priority in managed care, Tobacco In Managed Care, and what can be done about it. Addressing Tobacco In Managed Care.
- Updates FindLaw Legal News: Tobacco www
Updates on tobacco law from international to local, Legal News: Tobacco, tobacco ligitation updates, and tobacco industry documents that feature in tobacco law. FindLaw Legal News: Tobacco.
- Contrary Most Smokers Do Not View Themselves At Increased Risk for Health Problems www
Contrary to assertions that "everyone knows", Smokers Do Not View Themselves At Increased Risk for Health Problems, research finds that most smokers underestimate the risk. Most Smokers Do Not View Themselves At Increased Risk for Health Problems.
- "Despite Smoking Experimentation and Smoking-attributable Mortality due to Joe Camel and Marlboro advertising and promotions www
"Despite public denials, Experimentation and Smoking-attributable Mortality due to Joe Camel and Marlboro advertising and promotions, internal tobacco company documents indicate that adolescents have long been the target of cigarette advertising and promotional activities...(From this analysis) we projected how many future deaths in the United States can be attributed to each brand." Smoking Experimentation and Smoking-attributable Mortality due to Joe Camel and Marlboro advertising and promotions.
- Alexa: Tobacco Specific Substances
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Tobacco Specific Substances
- DMOZ: Tobacco Specific Substances
dmoz.org Directory: Tobacco Specific Substances